Tuesday 3 January 2012

The Month That Is; How I Wrote Richard Faraday, Ghost Detective - January 3rd 2012

Not much to report today. Yesterday killed me dead with the word count, and I didn't start writing until gone 9pm today. I managed to finish Section One at 18,473 words so that's just under 2,000 today. I can live with that if it means on occasion I throw 10,000 out in one go.

I'm out into the unknown tomorrow. Section One was pretty tightly plotted, now I'm headed into Section Two, which is a bit more up in the air. There is a very distinct "episodic" nature to the stories I'm telling, as I think I've mentioned before. The idea was that this would function best as a television serial, monster of the week type stuff with an over-arc tying everything together in a neat package. That's the kind of stuff I like to watch, that's the kind of thing I like to read, so we'll see how the final package ends up.

In the final scene of Section One I introduce a new antagonist. DCI Drake. Named for a character in a classic 60s television show, modelled after the villain in a short-lived "continuation" of said television show. I have a small idea of who he is, what his role is in the grand scheme of things... if there was magic in the world, if you could summon monsters and send your spirit into someone else and possess them, wouldn't the governments of the world want to weaponise this ability? Wouldn't it be right up their alley to mess with forces beyond their understanding? As much as I enjoy the idea of there being supernatural worlds lurking under the skin of our reality, I also like the grounding of the occult, which is something I was going to explore in the sequel of The Chain... anyway, I digress. Today was a good day. Tomorrow will be something else entirely.

The following albums were listened to today whilst writing: Deftones – Saturday Night Wrist, Death From Above 1979 - You're A Woman, I'm A Machine and Queens of the Stone Age – Lullabies to Paralyze. Short and sweet, but enjoyable none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment