Wednesday 4 January 2012

The Month That Is; How I Wrote Richard Faraday, Ghost Detective - January 4th 2012 - A

I can't sleep again, lots of ideas swirling around my head.

I wanted to share something with you while it was still fresh in my head, because it was a moment of inspiration for me, and helped shape a moment in the novel.

In Part One*, Chapter Six, Richard Faraday gives the following speech:
“Crystals have always been purported to contain healing qualities. Obviously it depends on the crystal, the origin, the clarity,” Faraday shook his head. “I’ve just knitted your uncle’s arm back in place. His blood will regenerate as long as he tolds that crystal. I suggest,” he leaned in close to Marie. “When they get a line in him, remove it from his grip. You don’t want to draw too much attention..."
More happens (before and after!), but I've cut it for clarity. That could almost be construed as an awkward crystal joke, but I digress. It was not my intention.

My friend Claire and I have had discussions about oddities of the world. Nothing too weird, but stuff that stuck with me, and it was during one of these conversations that she started talking about crystals. She swore that different crystals helped solve different maladies.  

Bull shit, I always thought. But what if...?

I love the supernatural. I love things that don't necessarily make sense. But I'm also really boring and straight forward in my thinking. Crystals do not heal people of illnesses. But Claire, who used to work in a small shop that sold such items, said that they do. I don't know the truth from my own experience, but this is someone I know, someone I trust, so should I doubt her?

So another part of real life (huh) seeps into fiction, and perhaps vice versa. My belief grows.

I kind of like it.

*I know I keep calling them "Sections" in the journa but, "Part" conveys what I'm going for better, I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment