Sunday 22 January 2012

The Month That Is; How I Wrote Richard Faraday, Ghost Detective - January 22nd 2012

I finished writing Richard Faraday, Ghost Detective at 6.36pm today.

The first draft word count is 72,400, and it's been a maddening twenty two days of writing. It's shown me that if I put my mind to something I can get it done, which I think is what I needed for the start of 2012.

Sam has the first two thirds of the novel and is editing them as we speak, and I'll be meshing his edits with the third and final part when I receive them then sending them back for a second round of editing. I've got some stuff I need to add retrospectively, but then I think it's plain sailing.

The terrible thing is that I could keep writing it, but I know that with this one month deadline I can't afford that luxury. It was a different style of writing (frantic, stream of conscious, etc) and I think it shows in places (I fall into bad habits when I write; the more I write the more I write the same thing in different ways, and the more time I spend writing after that is time spent writing the same thing differently but the same, which is one hell of a mind fuck to get my head around).

I still need to explain what I've written. And I think now that the first draft is done I'll take a step back from the heinous daily blogging (it's not like anyone was looking every day!) and focus on other things needed for the publishing of this bad boy (organising blog notes, a glossary, playlist, all that). When I get the second draft back then I'll do what I gotta and that'll be that.

So the first Richard Faraday, Ghost Detective book will be published by the end of February. Blimey.

 The following albums were listened to in the final run at the novel. As ever, they're in no particular order: Interpol - Antics, A Perfect Circle – Mer De Noms , Metallica – Ride the Lightning, Amanda Palmer - Amanda Palmer Goes Down Under, Amanda Palmer - Who Killed Amanda Palmer [Alternate Tracks], A Perfect Circle – Thirteenth Step, The Rza Presents Afro Samurai-Resurrection-OST, Interpol - Turn On the Bright Lights,  M83 - Before the Dawn Heals Us, Lana Del Ray - Video Games, The Mary Onettes - The Mary Onettes, Kenji Kawai – Ghost in the Shell: Innocence OST, Nine Inch Nails – The Downward Spiral and Nine Inch Nails – With Teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment