Sunday 5 September 2010

Word's..? - Update

Claire might know what I mean when she reads this (hey, Claire!), but at work today I saw a poster cello-taped to the wall of our staff rooms, and again in our changing rooms-- in the men's? is there an apostrophe there? Oh God... anyway, I assume if there was one there that there must have been one in the ladies too. ladies'? hhrrgh!!-- and I read it. Paraphrasing:

"LOST PROPERTY COLLECTED FROM PARTNERS LOUNGE.
TO COLLECT, GO DOWN TO BOX OFFICE AND GIVE A CLEAR DESCRIPTION
:)"

Okay, that's fine, but then came the list of items, and that feeling in my head, that heavy throb of uncertainty becoming this bell toll of knowing-- the list of items, which included:

"...Scarve's.
Hat's.
Plimsoll's..."

Holy shit. No. No. So I took the pen in my pocket, and crossed out every single apostrophe. Like a complete and utter graffiti bastard. And I was contented. And carried on working.

I wonder if anyone will notice? And pin it on me? I hope not... but a man stands by his grammatical principles, even though they, at times, elude him.

No comments:

Post a Comment